Thursday, February 2, 2017

Week 2A: Social Media

I must admit that I am not really social media savvy and I don't own a smartphone, but I've been using personal computers since I worked for TRW in the early 80s. Back then they put IBM computers in all the offices and there was no internet. 

Besides email and IMs on AOL, my first experience with social media was Myspace, which my daughter set up for me, and I rarely used. I am currently on Facebook which I only use for personal use. And I have a LinkedIn account which again I don't use since I am currently not working.

So, which social media platforms are geared towards personal use? I would say Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram and Twitter. Facebook kind of reminds me of a realtime family "newsletter". People post personal events and/or information about themselves and you can comment about them.  Now, I am not familiar with Snapchat or Instagram, but my daugthers are and they use it mostly to send pictures to family and friends. Twitter, well I have never used it nor have my daughters but I see it more for personal use since you are confined to only 140 characters. Now we are aware of some "professional" people using it to "promote" themselves and their views.

As for business use, I only know of LinkedIn, which companies use to promote their businesses and/or look for qualified employees and Facebook which allows for businesses to not only show their professional side but also their personal side as well.



2 comments:

  1. Hi Trish. I enjoyed reading you post. I agree that LinkedIn is mostly used for business purposes. I believe Facebook and Twitter must both be useful for businesses just because almost every product I buy these days has Facebook and Twitter logos on them. I understand a large number of people use Facebook for much more than just interacting with friends and family these days. I have also seen a lot of stories in the news lately regarding the algorithms Facebook uses for identifying trending news stories. I think many of these social media platforms can have much more capability than casual users comprehend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you referred Facebook as a real time family newsletter!! It really is! I also do not have a lot of experience with social media. I had a Myspace account and then switched over to Facebook like the rest of the world. I can see it being used in business more and more every day.

    ReplyDelete